Friday, June 24, 2011

Holding Tank - Pump Out Hose Clogged

Well.... you see I have this story............

It starts out because there was difficulty in pumping out the Holding Tank of our boat when we needed to do so.
It just seamed to take forever, pumped out very slowly, and took about 20 min. to a half an hour depending on how full the tank was.
It was guite annoying, not to mention embarrassing.

So first I cleaned the Vent line, and that was not the problem.
Then, I got a snake to try to clean out the Holding Tank line.
It would only go into the hose about 44"

First Clue!

So I went inside the engine bilge area, and after clipping some wire ties around the hose to be able to see it, I noticed a kink in the hose.
So I measured how far down the kink was...... and wa... la...

44"!

Clue number 2...........

I then decided to cut the line above the kink and this is what I found....
See the kink in the hose?
This must be a piece of an original Holding Tank, Level Sensor Float?

It got caught right where the kink was.

The Float had to be there for years.....

And the kink..... well that just had to be there from the original factory hook up of the hose.

The installer probably had to bend the hose to put in in? And just didn't KNOW or CARE that this just might be a problem someday??......
A view from the back side of the float looking inside.
Another view of the kink.


The hose came down from the gunnel and down to the right.

It was wire tied amoung all those other wires, hoses, etc.


And I couldn't see the kink originally.


After I opened it up, then I could see it.


You can see where I had to cut the hose.

Another view of the cut hose.

So I ended up putting it back together with a rubber "No-Hub" fitting which completely keeps the inside diameter clear and unrestricted.


Another job I had to do to our otherwise "pristine" boat.


But we still like it very much!

No comments:

Post a Comment